Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Hughes (Wildly) Effective in Arizona League Opener

Phil Hughes, New York YankeesAfter an injury-marred, winless regular season, New York Yankees right-hander Phil Hughes opened the Arizona Fall League season in style -- five innings of one-hit, scoreless ball -- as the Peoria Javelinas topped the Surprise Rafters, 10-3, on Tuesday.

Hughes (1-0) struck out seven en route the victory but walked five and hit a batter. Only 49 of his 86 pitches were strikes (57 percent).

"It was good. It's been a little bit since my last start, so I'm trying to work out a little bit of rust," Hughes told MLB.com's Steve Conley. "The walks were a result of not being out there in a while ... My fastball command wasn't what I would've liked it to have been, but you expect that after not having stepped on the mound in a game situation. My breaking ball was working and, when I got ahead, everything seemed to fall into place."

***
Yankees center-field prospect Austin Jackson (2-for-4) tripled and drove in four runs. Third baseman Kevin Russo finished 0-for-3 with a walk.

No comments: